The Global Health Initiative, in collaboration with the University YMCA’s Global Engagement program, will be launching an international partnership program in global health during the fall of 2013. This program seeks to:
- Foster the growth of the next generation of global health leaders through learning opportunities both abroad and at Illinois which promote personal growth and global awareness.
- Encourage interdisciplinary collaboration on research in the social sciences, natural sciences, health sciences, and engineering.
- Demonstrate the impact of a partnership-based strategy in addressing grand challenges in global health, and to communicate best practices to peer institutions.
The program will be a site-focused partnership with a university, non-governmental organization, healthcare center or similar organization outside of the United States. The vision for this program is to establish a focal point for global health activities at Illinois in which student- and faculty-led research, undergraduate and graduate programs, study abroad experiences, and service-learning experiences are engaged with the same international partner in activities related to global health.
Propose a partner
The GHI and YMCA are seeking site proposals from faculty, students, and individuals in the community of existing partnerships connected to the University of Illinois and/or Champaign-Urbana community. Individuals and groups proposing a site for this partnership should already have knowledge of the region, should be in regular contact with potential partner(s) in the region, and should be excited about growing the existing relationship into a long-term, multi-disciplinary health-focused program.
Click here to submit a proposal via the University YMCA’s grant interface
(you will need to register for an account to submit a proposal) View a PDF with instructions on using the submission system here.
Proposals will be accepted through the end of September 2013.
Initial projects will begin during the summer and fall of 2014, beginning with a technology-focused interdisciplinary undergraduate senior project program. More information will be available here soon.
The following individuals are also welcome to contact us (globalhealth ‘at’ illinois.edu) before or after a partnership site has been identified:
- Faculty seeking a new international field site for health-related research
- Graduate students seeking an international field site for health-related dissertation work
- Student organizations interested in global health service learning opportunities
- Students interested in study abroad experiences with global health themes